Since I got married, I have experienced seasons of waiting, back-to-back-to-back. I won’t get into the details, but some of the seasons have been normal life things (waiting on the baby to be born, waiting on our house to close), and some of them have been bigger, more stressful things.
I’ve spent a lot of the time fighting the wait, itching for the end, frustrated and uncomfortable. It’s hard to understand why waiting feels so slow, why it has made me so incredibly discontent at times.
There was a point when I was so frustrated, so unhappy with where we were, so ready for things that we were waiting on to happen already. At that point, I was leading a small group of young married women, and we were reading a book completely disassociated with waiting. However, there was one little bit of that book that shook my idea of waiting. The author shared how interested God was in our processes, and in my heart of hearts, I knew that I needed to embrace that. I needed to allow the process and the waiting to work me over. I realized that wishing the now away was taking away from what I could be learning. At this point, I began to tell myself (even when it wasn’t true), “I want to be right here right now, because this is where God has me. I don’t want to miss what God wants to teach me today because of my anxiety and frustration.”
When I started to focus on allowing the wait to be a good thing, I started to see it all over Scripture. Here are some of the verses that I plaster on my walls and my heart while I’m in the wait:
- “Be still, and know that I am God! ” -Psalm 46:10
- Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. -1 Thessalonians 5:18
- Now may the Lord of peace himself give you his peace at all times and in every situation. The Lord be with you all. -2 Thessalonians 3:16
- I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word. -Psalms 130:5
- So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. -Hebrews 12:12
- And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness—secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name. -Isaiah 45:3
- So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. -1 Corinthians 15:58
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. -Isaiah 41:10
- May he produce in you,through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. -Hebrews 13:21
- Such hope never disappoints or deludes or shames us, for God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who has been given to us. -Romans 5:5
- So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help. -Isaiah 30:18
- Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. -Philippians 4:6
- Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. -Psalms 55:22
- For the word of the Lord holds true, and we can trust everything he does. -Psalm 33:4
- The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. -Isaiah 58:11
- He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. -Romans 4:21
- Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act. -Psalm 37:7
What other verses do you remember in the waiting season?
Is it easy for you to sit patiently, allowing God work in your waiting, in your processes?